We wanted to update contractors and remodeling companies about a new bill, introduced by several congressmen, to make amendments to the EPA’s Lead: Renovation, Repair and Painting rule (LRRP), which took effect on April 22, 2010.
As most of you know, the intent of the original law was to make sure contractors and renovation pros who worked on homes built before 1978 be trained and certified by the EPA on lead-safe work practices. But the path has been paved with controversy and major headaches for home service businesses.
In fact, we partnered with Kachina Lead Paint Solutions to help our customers deal with all the training and forms required by the LRRP rule.
The good news is the sponsors of the amendment to the lead paint rule are trying to alleviate the pain caused by the law. Here are the highlights of H.R. 5911 – also known as the Lead Exposure Reduction Amendments Act of 2012:
- Reinstate the opt-out provision to allow home owners without small children or pregnant women residing in them to decide whether to require LRRP compliance, not the government
- Suspend the LRRP if EPA does not approve a commercially available test kit that meets the regulation’s requirements
- Allow remodelers the “right to cure” paperwork errors found during an inspection.
- Eliminate the “hands on” recertification training requirements
- Prohibit EPA from expanding the LRRP to commercial and public buildings until at least one year after the agency conducts a study demonstrating the need for such an action
- Clarify the definition of “abatement” to specifically exclude remodeling and renovation activities
- Provide an exemption to the regulation for emergency renovations
What do you think of these proposed changes? Does this do enough? Or does it go to far? Let us know what you think.
And we’ll keep you posted as this amendment makes its way through the political system and into your businesses.
If you’re interested in seeing how our partnership with Kachina Lead Paint Solutions works or would like to know more about how improveit! 360 helps you manage your contracting business, give us a call at 866-421-3360 or request a free demo of our contractor software.